Future?

Anything Eterspire-related that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Hyzer

Future?

Post by Hyzer »

I'm curious, what is your vision for the future of the game Lartu?...longer term than what is in the road map I mean.

In a perfect world where would you like the game to be in 5 years? (if you even plan on sticking with it that long)

Are there systems you would like to include that are a long way down the line?

Are you willing to share some of your ideas on what you want this to become?
Palestina

Re: Future?

Post by Palestina »

outcome 1: the game dies.
outcome 2: the game dies, but slower.
outcome 3: the game remains barely alive for a long time, and then dies.
outcome 4: the game gets improved on a fundamental level, everything from movement and interactivity with the world to the content. The game survives for years and dies a slow but honorable death.
outcome 5: some random ass youtuber plays it and makes it popular.
outcome 6: somebody here makes it popular some way or another.
outcome 7: the game gets shut down, why exactly doesn't matter, it just does.
outcome 8: we all kill ourselves and the game then shuts down.
Hyzer

Post by Hyzer »

That was a waste of a post.
Palestina

Post by Palestina »

Hyzer wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 02:11 That was a waste of a post.
elaborate
Lartu
Site Admin

Post by Lartu »

Hello there Hyzer! Sorry for the late reply.

In the long term I would like to see the game grow. And that growth will, in part, come from modifying the base game. I already talked about this in the Eterspire Discord, but the important thing to keep in mind here is that the current version of Eterspire is very hard to update. Adding new maps and content is very hard and takes a lot of time and, thus, expanding the game is a tough work. However, if the game were to change a little, say, with for example a fixed camera and removing item quality and durability, expanding upon it would be way easier.

So this takes me to Eterspire Beta II: https://twitter.com/martulartu/status/1 ... 233347587/

I've paired with Fantaseel Interactive (www.fantaseel.com) with whom I developed Fateful Lore to bring this new version of Eterspire in the short term (two to three months). This version, aside from the looks of it, changes a lot of things in the underlying engine that will let us add more content to the game easier and faster.

So, what content I'm talking about? Well, first new maps. Adding maps to Eterspire was the hardest! Not so much in this new version. Then, we'd like to add special effects to weapons, intricate RuneScape-like quests that aren't just "go and kill five spiders", dungeons, new items, a rebalanced combat system, non-combat skill such as cooking or crafting, etc. This is not my view for five years but for the next year. Once this version is out, we'll start adding more content as a team. That makes it easier.

Then, at some point, probably once Beta II is stable, we'll introduce some monetization method. Probably not microtransactions but some kind of membership program. Running this game and running a team costs money, and that would help us to dedicate more time to the game and to keep everything up. Of course, we are aiming to introduce this in a non-game breaking way, in a non pay-to-win way. We have some ideas, but this isn't fleshed out yet.

So where do I see the game in five years? Only time will tell. I would like to see it grow, I would like to be able to live off it so I can all my time (not only some of my free time) to make it grow a lot, I would like to see it full of players. Patience is key here, but I envision a bright future for Eterspire.

And answering Palestina's dumb post, yes, the game will die. But so will the Sun and the universe, so that's pretty much a tautology at this point, isn't it?

I'm here if you have any questions! Thank you for your message!
Hi there, I'm Lartu! Visit me at www.lartu.net and follow me on twitter! :D
Hyzer

Post by Hyzer »

Thanks for the update. I saw your posts in discord after I had posted here.

I played through Fateful Lore the other day. I wish it didn't end when I beat it.